Introducing the Phillip H. Street Cancer Community Service Award
In honor of the late Phillip Street – board member, legal counsel and long-time friend of Georgia CORE, its Board of Directors has created the Phillip H. Street Cancer Community Service Award. Given annually by the board, the award will recognize an individual or partnership that has contributed exceptional service to Georgia’s cancer community. Awardees will exemplify Phillip’s spirit of giving his professional expertise, financial support, and personal time to advance cancer research and care in Georgia.
“Phillip served as legal counsel to Georgia CORE for nearly 20 years and was instrumental in the success of the organization from the very beginning,” explains Lynn Durham, Georgia CORE president and CEO. “He was personally moved to strengthen Georgia’s cancer community after the death of his first wife to cancer, as well as the cancer journeys of several other family and friends. His impact on our work is unmeasurable.”
Phillip’s appreciation for the “unsung hero” in the cancer fight including survivors, caregivers, advocates, and volunteers is part of his legacy and shapes the award criteria. Winners of the award will demonstrate:
- consistent and substantial service to Georgia’s cancer care community through the giving of time, talent, and/or treasure to advance cancer research and care;
- volunteerism in support of cancer survivorship and/or caregiving;
- dedication to serving the people of Georgia; and
- courageous leadership and innovative thinking that leads to improvements in cancer care and/or discoveries in cancer prevention or treatment.
- Georgia CORE is currently raising funds for the monetary gift that will accompany the award. The inaugural award will be given in February 2023 at Georgia CORE’s 20th Anniversary Gala (details forthcoming).
Donations can be made by visiting this link or by sending a check to Georgia CORE at 50 Hurt Plaza Suite 1415, Atlanta GA, 30303.
If you know someone that should be nominated for the Phillip H. Street Cancer Community Service Award, or would like to donate to the award fund, please contact Lynn Durham at email@example.com.