Breast Cancer License Tags funding $1.1 million for breast cancer treatment and screening
October is breast cancer awareness month, and to improve breast cancer services for the state's uninsured population, the Georgia Department of Community Health (DCH) has awarded $1.1 million to 16 community organizations through the Georgia ACTS (Access, Care, Treatment and Services) Breast Cancer Grant Program. Georgia CORE administers the grant program on behalf of DCH.
“Breast Cancer is the second-highest cause of cancer death in women in the U.S., and almost 7,000 women in Georgia will be diagnosed with breast cancer this year,” said DCH Commissioner David A. Cook. “When breast cancer is identified at an early stage through mammography and clinical breast exams, these mortality rates improve.”
Funded through the sale and renewal of the Breast Cancer License Tag, the Georgia ACTS Grant Program expands breast cancer education, screening, access and outreach. The statewide grants will also help provide treatment services to Georgians without health insurance. The grant amounts range from $35,000 to $50,000 for screening projects and up to $200,000 for treatment projects.
“While Georgia has been successful at increasing breast cancer screening rates, not all women – particularly those without health insurance – receive appropriate screening or treatment services,” said Nancy M. Paris, president and CEO of Georgia CORE. “The work supported by these grants will help patients identify breast cancer at an early stage, thereby making treatment more effective and possibly saving lives.”
Organizations receiving the grants are providing matching funds or in-kind support that equals or exceeds the amount of their grants. The grant recipients are:
• St. Joseph's/Candler Hospital $199,827
• Meadows Regional Medical Center Inc. $150,000
• Memorial Health University Medical Center Inc. $119,104
• Boat People SOS Inc. $ 50,000
• Cancer Coalition of South Georgia $ 50,000
• Center for Black Women's Wellness Inc. $ 50,000
• Grady Health System $ 50,000
• Northwest Georgia Regional Cancer Coalition $ 50,000
• St. Joseph's Mercy Care Services Inc. $ 50,000
• YWCA of Greater Atlanta $ 50,000
• West Central Georgia Cancer Coalition $ 49,994
• Athens Regional Medical Center $ 49,966
• Center for Pan Asian Community Services Inc. $ 49,925
• Young Survival Coalition, Atlanta Affiliate $ 49,915
• Susan G. Komen for the Cure Greater Atlanta Affiliate $ 49,769
• Georgia Breast Cancer Coalition Fund Inc. $ 35,000
To purchase a Breast Cancer License Tag, please visit the href="http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/motor/plates/platesamples.aspx">Georgia Department of Revenue website.